Trying to figure out what I wanted to revisit was a little difficult. I wanted to do something I felt that was too easy, but I also didn’t want to do something in the same realm as that project. I wanted to see what other things I could use to create something completely different than before. It was quite an adventure but something totally fun to do.
I decided to pick my Martha’s Hat assignment that I did back in week 6. I created a missing item poster for finding Martha’s lost hat. I honestly thought this was a little too easy at the time, but I’m sure that’s mostly due to that there was little design and creativity that went into it. I created a lost poster within minutes, and I was quickly done with the assignment. I truly was proud of the poster, as I am with any project, but even I understood that it was a little underwhelming. Looking back, I should’ve done more. Well, this is now my chance.
I was a little inspired by my other assignment where I created a cool cipher during week 6 also. I mostly wanted to just use the Wiccan language, so I didn’t encode the text on the screen though.
I first tried to make my poster look like it was glitching out and some of the words on the screen was turning Wiccan. But I just couldn’t figure out how to do it after about 1-2 hours. So I thought to myself, why not just put it on a TV screen that is already glitching out?
And that’s what I did. I first got this picture of a fizzy-screened television, and then I put Martha’s Hat on it. I made the hat seem bright around the edges, and I also pixel-ated it slightly. Then I took the words “Lost Hat; Reward Big Ol’ Hug; Call: (123) 456-7890” and translated it to Wiccan. I put them on the screen and played around with trying to make it fuzzy.
But then there was a light bulb moment. I thought to myself as soon as I realized I could make the words look all funny, why not try making this into a GIF? And so began the endless amount of screen grabs, editing of the words and more to collect all of the photos to create this effect of words disappearing of the screen.
Then I went onto the website https://giphy.com/ where I created this GIF, adding on the top the words “My TV is being weird.” I think this turned out great and is way way better than before. I honestly feel much better about this assignment now. I truly think this was such a cool project to revisit!
Looking at my product now, I see many things I could have changed or did differently, but I think it’s so much better than before and has so much more creativity than the last one. I actually am much more proud of this remake than the original project. I hope you like the GIF I made!